Do you love baking in the kitchen with your children? You might like to spread the Christmas cheer by helping your children to make some fun and tasty Christmas tree meringues. They are easy to make and fun to decorate. Your children will love showing off their baking to their friends and sharing their tasty treats with them too.
4 egg whites (room temperature)
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
Green food colouring
1 x plastic zip lock bag
1. Preheat your oven to 150 degrees. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and then place them into your electric beater bowl.
2. Beat the egg whites until they begin to turn white. Combine salt and cream of tartar. When soft peaks start to form begin adding in the sugar one teaspoon at a time. Beat until all of the sugar has dissolved completely. Test by rubbing a small bit of mixture between two fingers. If you can feel grains of sugar continue beating.
4. Add a few drops of green food colouring and combine.
5. Line a large tray with baking paper and fill your piping bag with the meringue mixture.
6. Start piping the mixture. Begin piping the centre bottom of the tree and work in a circular motion increasing in height and decreasing in width.
7. Once you have finished piping place them into your oven on a low heat at approximately 150 degrees and bake for 2 – 2 ½ hours or until the meringues have become hard and crispy. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t brown.
8. Once cooked take them out of the oven and allow to cool.
9. Melt chocolate in the microwave or in a double saucepan over simmering water.
10. Spoon melted chocolate into a zip lock bag and seal it closed. Cut off a small piece of the corner of the bag and begin piping stars onto a tray lined with baking paper. Once finished piping the stars, place in the fridge to cool and harden.
11. Using the melted chocolate, place a small dollop of chocolate on the top of the meringue trees then gently but quickly pick up your stars and position them on the chocolate and allow to harden.