Whether it’s a piece of artwork or a decorative ornament, making décor for your home can be a fun and rewarding activity. Mocka’s DIY Wall Clock can be stuck onto any wall in your home or if you are feeling a bit more creative, you can make your very own clock on a piece of plywood and decorate it with vibrant paint in a pattern of your choice.
Follow the instructions below to create a unique and one-of-a-kind clock for your home.
What you need:
- A circle of plywood with a measurement of 80cm diameter. You might be able to source this from your local hardware store or make it yourself if you have the tools and skills.
- Mocka DIY Wall Clock kit
- Clear varnish in either paint or spray paint form
- Paint in your choice of colour/s
- Dry cloth
- Small Bucket
- Paint brushes
- Masking tape
- Wall hook (optional)
- If you purchased your plywood circle already cut from your local hardware store, begin sanding the top surface and edges. Ensure the entire surface area and edges are smooth. If you are cutting the circle yourself, measure and carefully cut the plywood and then sand the surface area and edges until smooth.
- Use a dry cloth to dust off the surface and edges.
- Once dusted, place your plywood circle on top of a small bucket. This will make it easier for you to apply the varnish.
- Apply the first layer of clear vanish. The varnish will prevent the paint from bleeding and will give you clean lines.
- Once the first coat of varnish has dried, apply the second coat. Every varnish brand will be different, therefore to get the best coverage ensure you follow the instructions on the back of the varnish tin.
- Once the second coat has dried, use a ruler and pencil to measure and mark out your pattern. For the stripe pattern measure 5cm between each stripe. For the semicircle, measure and mark out half of the diameter.
- Use the masking to carefully cover the areas that you don’t want painted. This will give you an even line when painting.
- Lay out some newspaper on a table and then begin painting the areas that you want painted.
- Allow the paint to dry and then apply a second coat of paint.
- Once the painted areas have dried completely, carefully peel off the masking tape.
- Using your Mocka DIY Wall Clock Kit, position the numbers and clock hand on the wooden circle. Once you have arranged the numbers, peel off the paper backing and stick them onto the wooden circle.
If you want to hang the clock on a wall, simply screw a wall hook into the back of the clock. You can create any style or coloured clock for your home. Mix and match the colours and patterns with the décor in your room. You will love showing off your handy work to all of your guests.