Craft activities are fun to do with children. Not only do they help to keep children occupied and entertained, they help to boost their cognitive development, enhance their fine motor skills and spark their imagination. The lead up to Christmas is a great time to introduce fun Christmas craft activities to your children to boost their excitement and celebrate this wonderful time of the year.
Making your very own snow globe is a fun and easy craft activity that your children will enjoy doing. They can make some for themselves and some as presents for their family, friends and teachers.
What you will need:
- Jam jar or leak-proof jar
- Paint brushes, Oil based enamel paint and sand paper (optional if you need to paint the jam jar lid)
- Epoxy or strong water resistant glue
- Ornaments that fit inside your chosen jars
- If you need to paint the jar lid: lightly sand the lid using sandpaper and then paint over the entire lid with oil based enamel paint. You may need to do two coats.
- Protect your hands with gloves and place epoxy on the bottom of your ornament and then carefully position it inside the jar. Note* if you would prefer, you can stick the ornament to the lid. Just a reminder the air bubble will be visible at the top of the jar if you stick the ornament to the lid.
- Once the glue has dried, fill the jar up with water.
- Add a dash of glycerine into the water. This will slightly thicken the water to prevent the glitter from sinking quickly. Be careful not to add too much as this will make the glitter stick to the bottom of the jar.
- Add a pinch of glitter and then carefully place the lid back onto the jar.
- Turn the jar over and back again and watch the glitter fall onto and around the ornament.
Your children will love showing their family and friends the creative work that they have completed over the weekend. This activity makes a great ‘show and tell’ piece for school during the lead up to the Christmas school holidays.