While other spaces in your home are shared with family and friends, your bedroom should be a place where you can unwind and have privacy. Which is why, it is important to plan while decorating this room. A serene, functional and beautiful bedroom can be a refuge from the stresses of everyday life. But bedroom furniture and design mistakes can create a room that is overly stimulating and uncomfortable. So check out our five bedroom furniture mistakes to avoid, to ensure your bedroom is a dream and not a nightmare!
1. Balance Over Symmetry All the furniture in a bedroom (or house for that matter) does not have to match exactly. Matchy-matchy furniture not only looks dull, but can make an interior appear contrived. Instead, experiment with furniture that compliments one another and creates a balanced room.
2. Clutter An overly cluttered bedroom is not a relaxing space to rest in, so be smart with your storage choices to avoid filling the room with chunky storage units. Under bed, storage is a fantastic option or utilise vertical space with floating shelves and built in cabinets. Go easy on the trinkets and décor as well. One or two signature pieces will have a lot more impact and be more pleasing to the eye.
3. Lights While you might think that lighting is beyond your control seeing as most are already installed overhead, secondary light sources are really what create a great ambiance in a room and the choice is all yours. Soft light from side table lamps, floor lamps, pendant lights and even fairy lights will really create a pleasing atmosphere in a bedroom.
4. Hanging Artwork too High As a rule of thumb, artwork should be hung at eye level. Hanging a wall hanging too high can throw off a room and make it uncomfortable for guests to view. Consider not even hanging your artwork at all but instead propping it up on a side table, mantle or sideboard. And never choose art work because it matches the furniture. Choose art because it speaks to you.
5. Not Measuring First When either buying furniture online or in-store, make sure you are prepared and measure the space it will go. This will ensure you don’t have an awkwardly placed piece of furniture that throws off an entire room and will save you the hassle and expense of having to return it.
You can view our current home furniture range here.